Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hey, it's Keely!

This piece, which I completed last year, is called Double-Sided Self Portrait (I am half German and half India). The point of this studio piece was to compare and contrast Indian and Western views of apparel/beauty. Indian attire is very focused on fabric. The beauty of an outfit is found in the intricate designs and patterns of the fabric, the bold color, and the quality of the material. You can see, in the image on the left, that the background detracts from any emphasis on silhouette and instead brings more attention to the fabric.
On the contrary, Western attire focuses much more on flattery of one's figure. In the image on the right side, the contour of the body is highlighted with a contrasting background. The colors are more muted so that the silhouette - not the fabric - is highlighted.
I cannot think of a piece I have done that can describe me better than this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment