Thursday, November 21, 2013

Reflection on Group Project

I worked in a group with Kathryn, Hail and Irene. Our plan was to create a collection of hats that could be sold at Urban Outfitters. Each of us made a style of hat that fit our personality and style. I created a beanie. My hat was outdoorsy/hipster, so I sewed plaid patches on the hat. I embroidered our company logo (NOHL) on the front of the hat. Kathryn made a flower crown, Hail made snapbacks, and Irene made head wraps.

Our group immediately knew we wanted to work together. We bonded over talking about Disney and immediately got along well. We were easily able to collaborate and talk about our ideas. One issue we had was thematically tying our hats together into one cohesive project. We did this by creating tags for the hats with our logo on them, as well as creating mood boards and by photoshopping pictures of our hats onto the Urban Outfitters website. I think the project could have benefitted from us pursuing this more and creating a complete look book.

I learned a lot from this project. It was great to work in a group that combined the creative and conceptual older students with those of us just beginning in design, and to work on a more "real life" project. I think this was a good opportunity to explore where I want to go with design, and gave me great ideas for future projects. It also was a good to network with the older students and learn from them.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved your beanie! It's definitely something that I would wear, and I can easily picture it being sold at Urban Outfitters right now. I think it's a great balance of plaid and knit fabrics, designed in a way that I haven't seen before. Also, I loved that you sewed the logo onto the hat itself!! It's a very delicate feature that adds a lot to the final look of the product.

    ReplyDelete