Tuesday, November 19, 2013

My Favorite Designer: El Anatsui

"Chance Encounters to New Discoveries"

Currently, my favorite designer is El Anatsui. While on an art enthusiast expenditure with my dad in Paris, I first learned of Anatsui. One evening, my dad and I decided to dine at a well-reviewed small French restaurant. The tables were set up family style, so that we could converse with fellow diners. My dad and I were seated next to an older couple. As we conversed with the couple, we learned of the gentleman's occupation of an art dealer. He was in Paris scouting vintage furniture for his gallery in New York City. When he learned of my love of art, he mentioned the Brooklyn Museum's new exhibit with the work of Anatsui. He spoke of the wonders of seeing the work, and highlighted Anatsui's attention to materiality and pertinence to paint and sculpture. I became intrigued. Later that night, I googled "El Anatsui", and I admired what I saw. His work is dynamic and different. The narratives from his background in his work remind me of the narratives that I seek to embed into my own work. Lastly, I highly recommend you to check out the work of Anatsui if you enjoy looking at mixed media sculptures!

El Anatsui (Ghana), In the World But Don't Know the World, 2011. Aluminium and copper wire, 560 x 1000 cm.

El Anatsui (Ghana), Drainpipe, 2010. Tin and copper wire.

El Anatsui
To learn more about El Anatsui, please check out this link: http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/el_anatsui/#

No comments:

Post a Comment